Plumbing is one thing we all take for granted. That’s why it’s understandable why homeowners panic when things go wrong. And they will go wrong… but that doesn’t mean you have to worry. Here are some of the top plumbing problems homeowners experience so you can be prepared for what your home eventually has in store for you:
1. Clogged drains – clogged drains can often be avoided by being careful about what one puts down drains—especially the kitchen sink drain, as this is the most used and clogged drain in the house.
2. No hot water – water heater issues are the most common reason people call plumbers. If you run out of hot water, here is what you can do:
• For those who have a gas water heater with a pilot light, make sure the light is lit.
• Ensure the temperature setting on the water heater is set high enough to provide adequate amounts of hot water.
• Check to make sure the water heater is big enough to meet the needs of your household.
3. Dripping faucets – this is a common annoyance most homeowners encounter as the washers and ceramic discs in faucets wear out. One simple trick to extend the life of your faucet washers is to avoid turning the faucet off with too much force.
4. Leaking pipes – a plumbing problem that can cause extensive damage to floors, walls, and belongings. To prevent a small leak from worsening, it is a good idea to check pipes periodically for rust or green corrosive spots which can indicate the beginnings of a leak in copper pipes. White lime deposits may also form at threaded connections.
5. Leaking water heaters – the best way to deal with leaking water heaters is to replace them. Leaks typically indicate rusting through the bottom of the water storage tank, and there is no repair for such a problem. Safety devices and pans under heaters can minimize or even eliminate damage to your home and personal belongings.
Now that you are aware of the Top 5 Problems, don’t panic! Just know you can always call the expert plumbers at Putman Plumbing day or night, seven days a week. Call us at 301-371-4395 or make an appointment here.